List:       classiccmp
Subject:    Re: FPGA PDP-11
From:       Johnny Billquist <bqt () Update ! UU ! SE>
Date:       2005-09-30 10:58:03

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 cctalk-request@classiccmp.org wrote:

> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:14:44 -0400
> From: Douglas Taylor <dj.taylor@starpower.net>
> Subject: FPGA PDP-11
>
> I found this interesting bit of work on the web, it is a college project to
> create a PDP-11 on a chip; look at the link:
>

> http://shimizu-lab.dt.u-tokai.ac.jp/pop11.html
>

> Why did he pick PDP-11/40 model?

Probably because it's a fairly simple and straight PDP-11, having more or
less the clean original design combined with an MMU, without any of the
later tricky stuff that would cause lots of more problems.

> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:42:51 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Vintage Computer Festival <vcf@siconic.com>
> Subject: Re: FPGA PDP-11
>
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Douglas Taylor wrote:
>
> > I found this interesting bit of work on the web, it is a college project to
> > create a PDP-11 on a chip; look at the link:
> >

> > http://shimizu-lab.dt.u-tokai.ac.jp/pop11.html
> >

> > Why did he pick PDP-11/40 model?
>
> Maybe because that's what they had in their lab?

Could be.

> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:04:01 -0700
> From: "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@aracnet.com>
> Subject: Re: FPGA PDP-11
>
> At 8:14 PM -0400 9/29/05, Douglas Taylor wrote:
> >I found this interesting bit of work on the web, it is a college
> >project to create a PDP-11 on a chip; look at the link:
> >
> >http://shimizu-lab.dt.u-tokai.ac.jp/pop11.html
> >

> >Why did he pick PDP-11/40 model?
> >
> >Doug
>
> It's worth noting that they're also working on a VAX-11/780 implementation.
>
> http://shimizu-lab.dt.u-tokai.ac.jp/

Yikes! If they would pull that off, it would be interesting... I wonder
how feasible it is, though.

> It's interesting to note, based on the pictures, they might be
> emulating RK05's using the IDE HD.  As such it might possible to run
> something other than Unix on this.

Hmm... 11/40 and RK05... The theory about 6ed Unix don't sound that far
fetched...

> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:04:45 -0400
> From: Allison <ajp166@bellatlantic.net>
> Subject: Re: FPGA PDP-11
>

> >Subject: FPGA PDP-11
> >   From: Douglas Taylor <dj.taylor@starpower.net>
> >   Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:14:44 -0400
> >     To: cctech@classiccmp.org
> >
> >I found this interesting bit of work on the web, it is a college project to
> >create a PDP-11 on a chip; look at the link:
> >

> >http://shimizu-lab.dt.u-tokai.ac.jp/pop11.html
> >

> >Why did he pick PDP-11/40 model?
>
> It was one of the higher performing models. whats significant is the
> IDE, serial as well as MMU were included.

Um. No, actually the 11/40 is pretty low performance. It's basically a 2nd
generation PDP-11. EIS was still very optional, and usually not included.
You have 18-bit mode, but no split I&D space, no supervisor mode or
anything else fancy. Also, no FPP available. You did have the FIS option,
though.

Might you be thinking of the 11/45 with variations?

> However I prefer my DEC310s (40pin dip LSI-11).

:-)

> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:25:32 -0400
> From: 9000 VAX <vax9000@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: FPGA PDP-11
>
> On 9/29/05, Douglas Taylor <dj.taylor@starpower.net> wrote:
> > I found this interesting bit of work on the web, it is a college project to
> > create a PDP-11 on a chip; look at the link:
> >

> > http://shimizu-lab.dt.u-tokai.ac.jp/pop11.html
> >

> > Why did he pick PDP-11/40 model?
>
> I probably know why they chose PDP-11/40, because I chose PDP-11/40
> before I found their work. The reason why I chose PDP-11/40 is because
> UNIX V6 runs on PDP-11/40 and there is a very good book about the UNIX
> V6 source code hacking (written by an Australian I believe). Sure, I
> abandoned the plan to create a PDP-11/40 to focus on other projects.

Good point. Having something to run on the hardware is desireable.

	Johnny