List:       classiccmp
Subject:    Re: Teletype Troubleshooting
From:       ard () p850ug1 ! demon ! co ! uk (Tony Duell)
Date:       2005-04-30 21:43:11

> >I'm testing in local mode and am getting incorrect characters
> >on (almost) every keypress. The characters will change even
> >with repeated pressings of the same key. I am pretty sure the
> >keyboard is outputting the correct codes.
>

> 	Never assume. One problem area we had was that the stiff spring-contact

That is a more general point. Never assume anything -- far too much time
has been wasted assuming something is working correctly when it could be
trivially tested!

That was the point of my idea to test the trasnmitter side separately. We
need to know which area of the machine has problems, then narrow down on
the faulty part.

More generally still, if something is safety-related, never assume
anything. If you ever get me working on a machine with you, you will find
I never trust you've turned off the power/unplugged it. I will check. If
you feel insulted by that, I frankly don't care. And if I say I've turned
something off, I expect you to check. I won't be insulted, I know I can
easily make mistakes [1]

[1] Like most hackers [2], I love a good practical joke, but I don't regard
claiming to have isolated something whan I've not done so as a joke.
Potential death situations are not funny.

[2] I am not claiming to be a hacker. I know I am nowhere near good enough.

-tony