List:       classiccmp
Subject:    Re: Amiga question
From:       "Iggy Drougge" <optimus () canit ! se>
Date:       2001-07-06 12:24:17

Jeff Hellige skrev:

>>The majority of my memory is comprised of 30-pin SIMMs on a Fastlane Z3 SCSI
>>card. It's a really nice SCSI card (I particularly like the fact that it's
>>got a full CEN50 socket on the blanking plate), but even though it's a Z3
>>card, the RAM only runs at 80% of the mobo speed.

>   For a while, I thought about getting one of the DKB 3128 ZIII
>memory boards, but never got around to it.  I did try to use the
>Rapidfire for RAM once, but it slowed things down so much I didn't
>leave it like that.  The thing I always hated about expanding the
>ZIPs in an A3000 wasn't getting the chips but inserting them into the
>sockets.  The way the 3000's ZIP banks were staggered made for a
>difficult time aligning the pins.

We thought about getting such a board until some weeks ago when we were lended
a Phase 5 Cyberstorm MK II 060 accelerator with 72-pin sockets. Still, it's
quite apparent that this A3000 is kept together mostly by rust and hot glue.
On good days, it works from a cold boot, otherwise it requires a few resets
before everything's settled.

>>And it can't be expanded either? Hm, sounds a lot like the PII.

>   The base Spectrum came with just 1meg while the higher end
>one came with 2.  I believe it was simple enough to add the 2nd meg
>to the base model though.  At the time, I had a 14" NEC monitor
>attached to it and I liked keeping the virtual screen set for
>auto-scrolling with the screen size set to 1280 x 960 with the actual
>viewable at a single time as 640 x 480.

We thought about buying such a card, too, until we were lended a Picasso IV.
You can't go any farther on the Zorro bus (ATM).

>BTW, is WB still limited to 256 colors?

God forbid! That could be a good reason to install P96/CGFX instead of EGS.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

Använd gärna mitt staket, fast du behöver nog fräscha upp det lite.
    Lupin III, Lupin den otrolige (Lupin III vs. fukusei ningen), TMS 1978