List:       classiccmp
Subject:    Re: Hmm...what the heck kind of cable is this????
From:       "McFadden, Mike" <mmcfadden () cmh ! edu>
Date:       2001-04-30 14:54:26

We used to make all of our own cables and sometimes even build our own
computer systems.
We built several using a Heurikon system board, Fujitsu Eagle 400 MB drives,
Kennedy tape drive, wyse terminals, Western Digital 5 1/4 disk drive,
Printronix printer, Hyperchannel network boards and hubs and a Ramtek color
monitor.  Cabling was always a nightmare.  Cable clamshell covers always got
left off so we could visually inspect the connections.

One hint never solder up 25 pin cable connections after having a beer.  My
eye hand coordination slips.

Every device seemed to prefer its own "flavor" of connection. tie 6-8-20
together, crossover 2,3,4,5.  Lots of our connections were straight through
with the cross-overs in the connector or gender changer.  We usually cut
large holes in the wall, it was easier to plaster a hole than cut off and
reconnect a cable end connector.  Of course many just hung down from the
ceiling.

Our tech always carried a breakout box and several gender changers.  We also
had a little vacuum based vise to hold the connector while you soldered on
it.

Mike
mmcfadden@cmh.edu