List:       clamav-devel
Subject:    Re: [Clamav-devel] clamav-0.101.0-beta AlertEncryptedDoc true
From:       "Micah Snyder (micasnyd)" <micasnyd () cisco ! com>
Date:       2018-11-01 19:24:27

At present, only encrypted PDF's will alert using AlertEncryptedDoc.  In the future, \
I would like to detect encryption in other document formats.

I realize it seems a little silly that the feature only works for PDFs at this time, \
so here is a little context.  In 0.100, the only option was ArchiveBlockEncrypted.  \
ArchiveBlockEncrypted, despite what the name implies, will alert on both encrypted \
archives and encrypted PDFs.  Separating the options was done at the request of users \
who have been using ArchiveBlockEncrypted in a mail filtering application and were \
frustrated that their encrypted payroll documents were getting blocked, but did not \
want to allow potentially malicious encrypted archives.  For 0.101, we separated \
ArchiveBlockEncrypted into AlertEncryptedDoc and AlertEncryptedArchive, retaining the \
more generic AlertEncrypted option for users who would want to continue using a \
single option.

Regards,
Micah

Micah Snyder