List:       clamav-devel
Subject:    Re: [Clamav-devel] [fabio.ped@libero.it: [Pkg-clamav-devel]
From:       Stephen Gran <steve () lobefin ! net>
Date:       2009-01-26 20:35:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:15:14PM +0100, Tomasz Kojm said:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:47:48 +0100
> Reini Urban <rurban@x-ray.at> wrote:
>
> > Stephen Gran schrieb:
> > > If you guys don't have the copyright, or can't grant the excemption for
> > > other reasons, distributors like myself will most likely have to build
> > > without gmp going forward, which seem unfortunate.
> >
> > Well, we could link against gmp-4.2.1 which has still the old license.
> > For cygwin we would have to create a gmp-compat package based on gmp-4.2.1

Distributors like Debian and Redhat generally don't keep old versions of
libraries laying around, so it's not all that great a solution.

> The problem has been fixed in SVN - we're now using LibTomMath (bundled with
> ClamAV) instead of libgmp.

Can we make it a configure option to use the system version of the
library instead? (Debian currently ships 0.39, which appears to have been
around a while and should be reasonably close to whatever version you're
going to pick)  I vastly prefer that in the general case; all the usual
arguments about security support and memory footprint and etc.  apply -
I'll take it as read that we all know them :)

If you're not interested in that work, or it seems difficult and you
have better things to do, let me know and I'll have a look.

Cheers,
|  Stephen Gran                  | You know, Callahan's is a peaceable     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | bar, but if you ask that dog what his   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | favorite formatter is, and he says      |
|                                | "roff! roff!", well, I'll just have     |