List:       cisco-nsp
Subject:    RE: New ISP setup - this may help you.
From:       s3nthil () netscape ! net (senthil  kumar)
Date:       2001-07-26 10:03:35

Hi Mate

apply demarcation at your network diagram and clearly identify the interfaces facing \
the internet and the interfaces facing the internal hosts. if possible layer the \
network devices and identify the core devices, distribution devices and access \
devices.

(//core routers will not run igp - not needed//)

1 - you can use public-ip on all interfaces provided you have enough ip \
addresses..else think using a NAT with static maps &/r ip pool.

2 - run bgp on the routers interfacing the service provider and you'll be sharing the \
same subnet of the carrier interface. you may own your own AS else you will be using \
the AS of the services provider, configure your core routers accordingly.

3 - run ibgp among all the routers that are interfacing the service providers \
netwrork and running bgp for exchanging ip-bgp routes with in the core routers to \
maintain a synchronized table but with different path selection policies.

4 - you may understand the BGP's way of choosing the next-hop and may fine tune the \
bgp path selection parameters individually in each bgp router

5 - you may choose to run a dynamic-routing protocol in the inside cloud. choose a \
flat(rip/eigrp)/hierarchical(ospf) to handle the internal routing needs, this also \
depends on the size of your internal network. (this is the distribtuion/access layer) \

(devices in distribution/access layers has no need to run BGP, except they need to be \
aware of the exit points, static routes will help you here along with \
rip/ospf/eigrp.etc,etc.)

6 - (//ideal) if possible deploy a pysical firewall interfacing the core routers to \
the rest of your network.(access pool > distribution pool || firewall|| > core pool. \
(pool  here means more than one device at that layer) - you may handle NATing here..

7 - use high bandwidth channels in the distribution channel

8 - think redundancy at all layers ...because you will be running a hosting \
infrastructure..

allocation of devices depends 100% on your model and your estimated bandwidth needs \
at each layer.

(**it's advisable to have buffer at all layers, but there is no point wasting \
resources ... my rule)

good luck!

senthil
----
uk.

--
thanks,

senthil kumar

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the \
convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at \
http://webmail.netscape.com/