List:       cisco-nsp
Subject:    RE: [nsp] dCEF and IOS
From:       George Robbins <grr () shandakor ! tharsis ! com>
Date:       2000-04-25 6:07:06

One of the excuses for dCEF failures is not enough memory on the VIP's
(the 12.x VIP images that are downloaded into the VIP's are larger than
the corresponding 11.x images), but it's less clear that adding memory
will really solve the problem.

I've had to back off a couple of our CEF'd routers to flow switching,
just becuase there was no way to keep them reliable and the problems
don't fall into a simple category that our NOC can identify and resolve
without escalation.

High-risk situations seem to be a lot of sub-interfaces, channelized
t3/e3 cards or lots of secondary addresses on an interface.  Clearly
there are many bugs left in the CEF world, I wonder if Cisco has a
team working on it, or it's assumed to be mostly OK and cases just
run thru the mill with no special priority.

						George