List:       cisco-nsp
Subject:    [nsp] RE: UDP broadcast filters.
From:       Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm () portsoft ! com>
Date:       1998-03-16 19:40:36

1)  Telnet into the router
2)  issue an "enable" command
3)  issue a "config" command
4)  Create an "ip access group" that lists all your rulesets.  What I do is to build \
one in Notepad, then cut and paste from there to the telnet window.  Here's a snippet \
of mine, 201.207.3.226 is the interior firewall.  Note that this can be built to \
either be applied to incoming or outgoing packets, and can be applied to either the \
serial interface or the ethernet interface.  You have to re-write the list if you \
change how it's applied, the following is applied to incoming packets to the serial \
interface:

access-list 101 permit tcp any any established
access-list 101 deny   ip 201.207.3.224 0.0.0.224 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.224

access-list 101 permit icmp any any

access-list 101 permit tcp any any eq hostname

access-list 101 permit tcp any host 201.207.3.226 eq smtp
access-list 101 permit tcp any host 201.207.3.226 eq pop3
access-list 101 permit tcp any host 201.207.3.226 eq domain
access-list 101 permit udp any host 201.207.3.226 eq domain
access-list 101 permit udp any host 201.207.3.226 eq nameserver
access-list 101 permit tcp any host 201.207.3.226 eq ftp
access-list 101 permit tcp any host 201.207.3.226 eq ftp-data
access-list 101 permit tcp any any gt 1023
access-list 101 permit udp any any gt 1023

Depending on how nasty that your users are you may want to block some of their \
outgoing traffic.  Common blocks are on SMTP - which forces all outbound SMTP to \
spool through your mailserver and greatly discourages spammers from using your dialup \
accounts.  Another popular one is a block on TCP traffic on Real Audio, to force \
people to use UDP as a transport.  This requires a second access list.

5)  Cntl-Z then do a sh running-config to make sure that the access list is properly \
built 6)  Go back into config, then apply the list to the desired interface - in my \
case the command is "config, in s0.1, ip access-group 101 in, exit, exit" 7)  Sit \
back and wait for your users to scream because something you are inadvertently \
blocking is something that they were using. ;-)  Repeat steps 1-6 until satisfied.

Ted

PS:  While this firewall is going to be better than nothing (you need to substitute \
the appropriate IP numbers for your network, of course) you really need to learn a \
lot about the basic protocol of TCP/IP and it's implementation to write a good one as \
well as know exactly what all your external hosts are doing.  There is always trial \
and error in this business, you start with the most restrictive access list possible, \
then gradually add openings to it as users complain.