List:       cisco-nsp
Subject:    Re: [c-nsp] STG & ASR1002
From:       Tony <td_miles () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-07-28 20:52:36

Hi Rens,

--- On Wed, 28/7/10, Rens <rens@autempspourmoi.be> wrote:

> When I open a STG on an ASR1002-F with update period 3000ms
> I'm getting a
> lot of blank lines.
>
> I have to change it up to 10000ms to get a nice graph.
>
> Are there any things that are different on ASR that I need
> to tune for fast
> SNMP pollings?

I haven't played with ASR much, but from my experience on other Cisco platforms the \
answer is, no there is nothing you can do about it (I'd be very happy to hear \
otherwise).

In general the more $$ you outlay the less frequently you can get reliable SNMP stats \
out of the box which I find rather disappointing at times. I imagine the idea behind \
this is that you don't want your box too busy writing interface counter stats that it \
can't do what it's really supposed to do, which is forward packets.

On an 870 DSL router I can graph the ATM interface at 100ms intervals and get sane \
output (great for troubleshooting micro-burst issues, not really required for normal \
daily graphing). A 2611 with FR interface I can get 500ms intervals.
If you have a 3550 switch it has a minimum interval of 1000ms (although you will \
notice some glitches every now and then so longer interval will smooth them out).  On \
a 7200 you'll need a 5 second interval, although you this does depend on interface \
type an ATM base interface is OK at 2500ms, but a sub-int on the same ATM card \
requires double (5sec). Graphing on a 7600 is restricted to a minimum of 10sec \
intervals and then it depends on the LC in use. For example I've found that an \
SPA/SIP combination would sometimes require 30sec intervals to produce graphs that \
look remotely like they should be where as a plain GigE LC would work ok at 10sec.

regards,
Tony.