List:       cipe
Subject:    Re: CIPE Linux and CIPE Win2K
From:       Erik Wallin <erikw () sec ! se>
Date:       2001-05-10 7:45:15

Jason Hecker wrote:

> The cipcb1 connection talks to the Win2K box which has a dynamic IP care of
> ADSL.  We have got dyndns accounts so we are using our foo.dyndns.org names
> in the respective peer fields.  I have set 0.0.0.0 for my real IP and the
> same for the other end.  Does Win2K like 0.0.0.0 - is this allowed?  We are

Yes. I'm running a similar setup, but with an ISDN router with PAT instead of
ADSL. So, in my case even the port number changes.

> using 192.168.4.1 and .2 for the PTP endpoints.  I would appear the Win2K
> CIPE sets the local PTP IP to 0.0.0.0 and you can't change it.

Yes you can (have to actually), but not in the CIPE control panel. You should set
the IP number of the CIPE adapter. Go to my network places, properties, <the newly
installed CIPE adapter>, properties,  internet protocol. After you set this, it
will appear in the grayed out field in the cipe control panel.

> Do I:
>
> A) Give up computers and get a life?

Never tried this one, I've done it the other way around. :-)

> B) Force my friend to use Linux and not Win2K for his firewall/router?

That would be the best solution.

> C) Wait until I get some anecdotal help from you guys?

If all else fails.

/Erik