List:       cipe
Subject:    Re: Bit by DHCP
From:       Scott Nelson <sbnelson () thermeon ! com>
Date:       1999-07-16 20:02:06

If this is simply a question about static IP addresses vs. dynamic IP addresses,
I think I can help.

In the configuration files, on both systems, whenever you want to refer to the
dynamic IP address system, simply put in 0.0.0.0 instead of the IP address.  Then
when the dynamic IP system gets its IP address, it sends packets to the static IP
address system.  If the key is valid, it now uses the new dynamic address to
communicate.

You must restart ciped whenever the outgoing IP address changes.  This means on
the dynamic IP address system, you need to restart cipe whenever you connect to
your ISP.

As far as firewall rules, the only problem I see is that you need to have the udp
port for cipe wide open; someone could try to hijack your session if they knew
the key.  I don't know what happens if they don't know the key -- hopefully the
packets are simply ignored.  Olaf???

Scott