List:       cifs-protocol
Subject:    Re: [cifs-protocol] [EXTERNAL] [MS-DNSP] sticky static dns updates - TrackingID#2106070040005009
From:       Jeff McCashland via cifs-protocol <cifs-protocol () lists ! samba ! org>
Date:       2021-06-29 20:06:55

Hi Douglas,

I've been able to confirm that when a static record is added to a dnsNode, new \
records are added as static. This is done so that when a record is manually marked as \
static by an admin, refreshes don't over-ride the static state. This is tied to \
whether aging is turned on or off in the zone, which has been a feature of DNS since \
WS 2008. You can query the zone's aging property using the "Get-DnsServerZoneAging" \
powershell cmdlet.

I can also confirm that when a record gets its timestamp refreshed, all of the \
dynamic records in the dnsNode are refreshed. DNS has always worked this way.

Best regards,
Jeff McCashland | Senior Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications \
                Team
Phone: +1 (425) 703-8300 x38300 | Hours: 9am-5pm | Time zone: (UTC-08:00) Pacific \
Time (US and Canada) Local country phone number found here: \
http://support.microsoft.com/globalenglish | Extension 1138300 We value your \
feedback.   My manager is Natesha Morrison (namorri), +1 (704) 430-4292