List:       cifs-protocol
Subject:    Re: [cifs-protocol] [EXTERNAL] Re: [MS-DNSP] StartScavenging RPC call - TrackingID#2106010040000444
From:       Jeff McCashland via cifs-protocol <cifs-protocol () lists ! samba ! org>
Date:       2021-06-18 17:05:20

Hi Douglas,

Just to put a wrap on this issue...

Aging and scavenging applies to individual resource records, and the scavenging \
process is to delete the record. This triggers a timer on the dnsNode to kick off the \
tombstoning process. Tombstoned nodes are kept around for a period of time to allow \
replication the expired status of the node to other servers.

Please let me know if you have further questions on the StartScavenging RPC call. \
Otherwise, I'll consider this issue closed.

Best regards,
Jeff McCashland | Senior Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications \
                Team
Phone: +1 (425) 703-8300 x38300 | Hours: 9am-5pm | Time zone: (UTC-08:00) Pacific \
Time (US and Canada) Local country phone number found here: \
http://support.microsoft.com/globalenglish | Extension 1138300 We value your \
feedback.  My manager is Natesha Morrison (namorri), +1 (704) 430-4292

It doesn't appear to me that there is any connection between the Tombstone process \
and Scavenging/Aging. Surprisingly, these appear to be separate methods of clearing \
out stale records. In Windows, the processes are handled by separate code that \
doesn't appear connected.