List:       cifs-protocol
Subject:    Re: [cifs-protocol] [REG: 111092947767946] Question about MS DNS
From:       Edgar Olougouna <edgaro () microsoft ! com>
Date:       2011-10-06 22:38:08

Kai,

We confirm that Microsoft DNS implementation only supports one question per question \
section in a query. As a result, Windows-based DNS servers return \
DNS_ERROR_RCODE_FORMAT_ERROR when the request contains more than one question.

Per the RFC1035, it looks permissible to ask multiple questions in a query packet. \
However, the longstanding de-facto standard in DNS is to support a single question \
per packet. For instance, BIND servers are also thought to support one question per \
packet.

As it turns out, current Microsoft's DNS implementations do not have extensions to \
DNS RFC standards. We are reviewing the best option to publish an informative content \
to prescribe that clients should not attempt to ask multiple questions in the same \
DNS packet. This would eventually be in the form of a KB article.

Regards,
Edgar