List:       cifs-protocol
Subject:    Re: [cifs-protocol] cifs client timeouts and hard/soft mounts
From:       "Christopher R. Hertel" <crh () samba ! org>
Date:       2010-12-07 20:53:04

Matt Ficken (Insight Global) wrote:
> If the connection from the WAN Accelerator to the origin SMB server is down (ie the \
> origin SMB server is down), shouldn't the WAN Accelerator realize that, and then \
> not be responding to SMB echoes (at least responding as though it was the origin \
> SMB server)?

In theory, theory and practice are the same.  In practice they're not.

In other words, "should do" and "does do" are two very different things.  :)

...but I agree with Volker and Jeremy and others.  It's not our[1] job to
fix these things unless the fix is generally beneficial to the implementation.

Chris -)-----
[1]Where "our" refers to SMB/CIFS implementers in general.

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh@ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh@ubiqx.org