List:       cifs-protocol
Subject:    Re: [cifs-protocol] Status: SRX091209600095 Trans2SetPathInfo()
From:       Bill Wesse <billwe () microsoft ! com>
Date:       2010-03-22 19:47:43

Good day again Tim. For administrative purposes, I will archive this case until I \
hear back from you.

I have attached [MS-SMB]_Changes.pdf, showing the changes that will be made; these \
are essentially the same as those previously proposed for [MS-CIFS]. Please see the \
attached [MS-CIFS]_Changes.pdf, which will not be implemented.

These changes will be available in a future document refresh.

Please let me know if this satisfies your request; if so, I will consider the case \
resolved. Thanks for helping us improve our documentation.

Also, just to confirm the below, omitted WordCount/ByteCount should not be treated as \
erroneous - at least from a Windows client. This is not the case for all DOS errors.

Documenting these cases would require me to open a new case - please let me know if \
you wish us to pursue this.

Regards,
Bill Wesse
MCSE, MCTS / Senior Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
8055 Microsoft Way
Charlotte, NC 28273
Email:	billwe@microsoft.com
Tel: 	+1(980) 776-8200
Cell: 	+1(704) 661-5438
Good morning Tim - I am resending this, as I have not received a reply to my previous \
email (shown below).

On Dec 9, 2009, at 12:31 PM, Bill Wesse wrote:

> This is processed as follows before appearing on the wire:
>
> If the SrvIsSrvStatus(Status) check passes (which it should, in this
> case, per the included #defines from cifs.h), the error code is
> truncated using the SrvErrorClass(Status) macro (also from cifs.h),
> and the error class is set to SMB_ERR_CLASS_DOS (0x1). The
> SMB_FLAGS2_NT_STATUS bit is cleared in the response header.Flags2
> field, and the return context is marked to omit WordCount and
> ByteCount.

Hmm, I didn't know that there are cases where the WordCount and ByteCount are \
omitted.  Is this the case for all DOS errors?  Is it possible to document the cases \
when they are omitted?  As it is there is samba client code that detects an omitted \
WordCount/ByteCount in this situation as an error, so if this is correct server \
behavior we'll need to update the client.

Regards,
Bill Wesse
MCSE, MCTS / Senior Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
8055 Microsoft Way
Charlotte, NC 28273
Email:	billwe@microsoft.com
Tel: 	+1(980) 776-8200
Cell: 	+1(704) 661-5438
Fax: 	+1(704) 665-9606

["[MS-CIFS]_Changes.pdf" (application/pdf)]
["[MS-SMB]_Changes.pdf" (application/pdf)]