List:       cifs-protocol
Subject:    [cifs-protocol] RE: Status: SRX080909600334: [MS-APDS] Backing
From:       Bill Wesse <billwe () microsoft ! com>
Date:       2008-12-16 12:01:50

Good morning Andrew. I have further information for you concerning the disposition of \
the attached PasswordPolicyAndValidation.pdf document.

The tables and information in PasswordPolicyAndValidation.pdf will not be \
incorporated into [MS-SAMR] (notes below) due to constraints imposed by the document \
templates, and maintainability.

Of course, a separate scenario document would be needed to explain the \
interrelationship of the protocols and their processing of 'on the wire data' as \
observed in a Windows environment.

I am currently awaiting definition and elaboration on this, with respect to the plan \
for the upcoming system documents, and will keep you posted as information is \
forthcoming.

Notes:

[MS-SAMR] 3.1.5.14.2 userAccountControl Mapping Table
[MS-SAMR] 5.2 Index of Security Parameters

We have investigated whether additional clarifications are necessary in the two \
sections (Section 3.1.5.14.2 & Section 5.2) as suggested by the \
PasswordPolicyAndValidation.pdf. However, we think these additional modifications to \
the technical document are not necessary since:

1)      The information in table 2 of the PasswordPolicyAndValidation.pdf is partly \
provided by another table in section 2.2.1.2. Most of the information presented in \
table 2 is already present in various sections of MS-SAMR and other technical \
documents; quoting them again will lead to duplication of information and hence \
difficulty in maintenance of the document. Having the documentation for a protocol \
contained in one place (where the appropriate protocol is discussed) is most \
suitable.

2)      As for table 3 of PasswordPolicyAndValidation.pdf, the columns in the table \
present in section 5.2 already contain links to the sections whose titles are \
suggested to be added. Further, this table is in accordance with the template used to \
create our technical documentation and therefore it would not be appropriate to \
modify its format/structure.

Regards,
Bill Wesse
MCSE, MCTS / Senior Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
8055 Microsoft Way
Charlotte, NC 28273
TEL:  +1(980) 776-8200
CELL: +1(704) 661-5438