List:       chkrootkit-users
Subject:    Re: [crt-users] chkrootkit bindshell INFECTED?
From:       "Hannu Kotipalo" <hannu.kotipalo () innokasmedical ! fi>
Date:       2003-02-10 14:13:49

On 10 Feb 2003 at 14:44, Raul Saez wrote:

> LOOK rpc.statd

Not running.

On 10 Feb 2003 at 8:16, Mike Burger wrote:

> That depends...do you know what's listening on port 4369?  If it's a
> program you installed and in which you are confident, you should be
> fine.  But if you don't know what it is, you would do well to be
> concerned.
>
> For example, on one of my systems, I'm running portsentry.  Chkrootkit
> comes back telling me that I have infected bindshell ports, but
> because I know that portsentry is running and listening on those ports
> for potential attacks, I know that I'm not actually infected.

Well, currently there should not be and there is nothing listening 4369. But during the
weekend, there were :-(

I'm not very good at shell scripts, but looks like chkrootkit just gets netstat -an and
grep the port numbers from the output. Is it possible that one of these lines
tcp        0      0 192.168.0.1:139         192.168.0.119:1027      ESTABLISHED
have had a port number 4369 as a destination address?

This is a samba connection to a windows box. Destination port number seems to be
quite randomized, could it be false detected as bindshell, if 4369 (or any of the
bindshell list) were used?

--
Hannu Kotipalo