List:       cherokee
Subject:    Re: [Cherokee] Cherokee 0.99.24 web admin interface looks broken
From:       Lorenzo Villani <lvillani () binaryhelix ! net>
Date:       2009-09-06 12:46:29

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 12:58:00AM +0200, Antonio Pérez wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > <rant>sometimes I wish that simple web intefaces like this stop using
> > Javascript altogether.</rant>
>
> We are open to new ideas... ;)

Well, having an interface that degrades gracefully when no JavaScript
is available can be a good start: at the moment the UI cannot be used
if JavaScript is disabled/broken/not available (like in text-based web
browsers).

In my opinion the massive usage of JavaScript in the interface adds
very little when compared with the good-old <form> based pages.

However, some frameworks are clever enough to degrade when JavaScript
is not available: if you are planning to rewrite the admin interface
in C++ ( :-) ) you can give a look at Wt [1] which is able to do all
of the above.

[1]: http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt

Lorenzo V.