List:       cherokee
Subject:    Re: [Cherokee] gnutls vs. openssl
From:       Alvaro Lopez Ortega <alvaro () sun ! com>
Date:       2007-04-10 10:25:23

Beech Rintoul wrote, On 10/04/07 11:45:

 > Does anyone have an opinion on using gnutls as opposed to openssl. Our
 > port defaults to gnutls and I would like to change that to openssl
 > (which is in our base) unless someone knows a good reason not to.

   OpenSSL has some pros and cons:

   As long as Cherokee continues being GPL, a Cherokee binary linked
   against OpenSSL would illegal; both licenses are incompatible [1].
   This is a legal issue that we will fix whenever it that Cherokee
   changes its license (I have been thinking about this for months).

   Although a good point for OpenSSL is it allows (Open)Solaris users
   to use crypto hardware in order to speed up https connections (don't
   know whether other OSes support it as well). Besides, it has been
   the standard until GnuTLS came up with the LGPL libraries.

     1.- http://www.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html

 > Also for FreeBSD users cherokee-0.6.0b700 is now available in our
 > ports tree as www/cherokee-devel and also at freshports.

   That's grand! :-)

--
Greetings, alo.