List:       cgit
Subject:    Incorrect default install path for Apache on Mac
From:       hjemli () gmail ! com (Lars Hjemli)
Date:       2011-05-30 22:54:34

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 07:48, Alex Smith <alex.smith.93 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2011-05-23, at 8:01 PM, Lars Hjemli wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 01:30, Alex Smith <alex.smith.93 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Mac install goes more like this however, it won't install to the default \
> > > htdocs dir on a mac: make get-git
> > > make NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease get-git
> > > sudo make NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease install
> >
> > sligthly off-topic:
> > * the get-git target is only needed once (to download the sources for libgit.a)
> > * if you've done 'git submodule init; git submodule update', there's
> > no need to 'make get-git' at all
> > * specifying NEEDS_LIBICONV is also only needed once (during building,
> > not install)
> >

> I made a typo earlier but not where you would think. From experience getting this \
> to compile, it's necessary for me to compile like:
> # Compile just cgit (if you already have git)
> make NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease
> # Download/compile git and compile cgit
> make NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease get-git
> # Do the install:
> sudo make NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease install
>
> If you don't include the NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease to the install phase I get:
> sudo make install
> ? ?SUBDIR git
> ? ?SUBDIR git
> ? ?CC cgit
> Undefined symbols:

Yeah, this is because you downloaded a new snapshot of the git
sourcecode in step 2 above, which triggers a rebuild of the cgit
binary during install.

The build-procedure should be like this:
1) make get-git (but only if you build from a cgit tarball - see
README for more info)
2) make (add any special options here or in cgit.conf)
3) make test (runs the selftests, optional)
4) make install

> I looked at the makefile and in order for it to "comply" with where to put it, \
> you'd need patience and support spaces in directory paths. It unknowingly fails \
> when presented with spaces for libdir:
> Proper directories for these files are:
> CGIT_SCRIPT_PATH=/Library/WebServer/Documents/cgit
> libdir=/Library/Application\ Support
> docdir=/Library/Documentation/Applications/cgit
>
> I think this should comply with standards in the Darwin world.

Thanks. A patch to the Makefile with a darwin-specific section
containing your findings would be much appreciated.

--
larsh