List:       cgiapp
Subject:    Re: [cgiapp]  Re: Ajax
From:       Graham TerMarsch <cgi-application () howlingfrog ! com>
Date:       2006-10-12 17:15:41

On Thursday 12 October 2006 7:33 am, Michael Peters wrote:
> I like prototype because it makes somethings about Javascript less painful.
> It provides some syntax-sugar stuff ( ie, $('some_div') is a shortcut for
> document.getElementById('some_div') ) as well as providing things (ie,
> bindAsEventListener() to use closures and 'this' without too much trouble).
> But Prototype isn't the lightest solution. It also doesn't have the nice
> CPANy ecosystem that we're used to in Perl. There exist other libraries
> based on Prototype (Scriptaculous is the biggest one) but they aren't
> centralized and sometimes hard to find.

FYI, there is an "Alien-scriptaculous" package on CPAN, which bundles up the
latest copy of script.aculo.us and makes it available for you to install
locally into your own htdocs tree.

I too found that it wasn't easy to make sure that I always had things
installed correctly, and although HTML::Prototype helped I didn't want all of
the wrappers that went with it.  So, I created Alien::scriptaculous.  Doesn't
provide any useful Perl code, but it is useful as a dependency so that you
know that you've got the JS libraries installed somewhere.

--
Graham TerMarsch
Howling Frog Internet Development, Inc.