List:       cgiapp
Subject:    Re: [cgiapp] Questions about CGI Application vrs CGI-Builder
From:       David Scott <leapingfrog () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-04-01 0:26:42

Randall,

> First, I like what I have seen so far of
> CGI::Application, however, I have seen documentation
> on the web that indicates CGI::Application has been
> superseeded by CGI-Builder. Is this true?

CGI::Application is designed to fit into many tool
environments.  It gives you object oriented control
over your screens.

I use CGI::FormBuilder and CGI.pm both in building
application screens.

> Assuming it isn't, what is the best form generation
> and validation tool/module to use with
> CGI::Application given that I already use TT2?

I find CGI::FormBuilder easy to use and it also fits
right into two common template tools in Perl.  I use
it almost transparently with CGI::Application.  When I
need some custom work, I can always use CGI.pm for
that part.

For commands ... you have to decide how you want to
manage it.  In one application I parse a file of
commands and then display results using
CGI::FormBuilder.  I use the upload feature to get the
file from the PC connected to the server.  Then I save
the command stream in a common data area that is
shared by all users who need to use that command
stream.

I use a separate object to manage parsing and
disemination of the data.

Sincerely,

David Scott