List:       cgi-list
Subject:    RE: [CGI] Strange characters
From:       Arjen Bax <arjen.bax () cmg ! nl>
Date:       2000-08-28 6:54:23

Mike Schienle [mailto:mgs@ivsoftware.com] writes:

> I'm beginning to wonder if it was an MS Word file on the Windows
> machine. Could Word have introduced those characters?

Definitely.

"\x82" is hexadecimal notation for character/byte number 130. This is
above the normal ASCII range that runs until 127. So we have to guess
the character encoding in use here. 130 is, I suppose, the MSWindows
character number for a "smart" closing quote. MS Word has the (bad,
IMHO) habit of automatically converting the normal quote characters
(ASCII 39=', ASCII 34=", ASCII 96=`) to smart opening and closing
quotes that look a little better in print. This behaviour can be
switched off, but many of the users of Word don't know how.

I consider the automatic conversion as bad, because 1) in Dutch another
type of opening quotes is used than Word inserts and 2) many Dutch
sentences begin with <'t> (apostrophe t) in which case the conversion
is unwanted.

But this is a bit off the topic of the list, I'm afraid...

Greetz,
--
Arjen Bax

CMG Noord-Nederland B.V.
Sector Telecommunications & Utilities
Postbus 70237, 9704 AE  Groningen
Tel. (050)52 19 500, Fax (050)52 19 503

The first myth of management is that it exists.
in the body.

CalendarPlus v3.0 with JavaPlus is available NOW!
http://www.calendarplus.com/

The CGI Tips & Tricks website (and archive of the list) is located
at http://perl.jann.com/