List:       cgi-list
Subject:    Re: [CGI] Intro && question
From:       Lou Hevly <lou () visca ! com>
Date:       2000-01-31 23:03:50

At 21:06 31/01/00 +0100, Gediminas Grigas wrote:
> Hello cgi-list,
>
> I`m Gediminas Grigas. Living in Lithuania, Vilnius. Hacking perl 1.5
> year, last 3 months - as much as i can. Working design
> studio Kryptis. 20 years old. My start was 8 years old Pravec-8
> computers, then Sinclair, then Atari ant then finaly PC... :)

<snip interesting stuff>

> How you guys learned advanced perl knowledge?

Well, I'm not really advanced myself, but I can point you to some excellent Perl \
resources:

1) Monitor the comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup if you can. I use the excellent free \
news.uni-stuttgart.de news server. You can't post, but that's no big deal. Get a \
decent news reader (like Free Agent, if you're on Win) and select those postings to \
read you have an interest in. Then save the postings that are especially interesting \
into directories, e.g. 'map', 'packages', 'regexen', etc. I've been doing this for \
about a year and have 1.5 Mb of code and examples saved. Hey, I'll zip and email it \
to you if you like :).

And, of course, dejanews!

2) Get Tom C's Perl Cookbook; for OO Perl, Damian Conway's Object Oriented Perl. Both \
are from O'Reilley.

3) There's tons of good stuff to read at http://www.perl.com You could spend hours \
there and never even scratch the surface.

Hope that helps.

Lou

PS -- I don't envy you your winters, but I'm sure I'd sure like to be up north when \
the sun begins to kick in around the end of June!

--
Lou Hevly
lou@visca.com

CalendarPlus v3.0 with JavaPlus is available NOW!
http://www.calendarplus.com/

The CGI Tips & Tricks website (and archive of the list) is located
at http://perl.jann.com/