List:       cgi-list
Subject:    Re: [CGI] libraries
From:       Jonathan Peterson <jon () amxstudios ! com>
Date:       1998-07-31 10:00:53

At 07:14 PM 7/30/98 -0600, P Chase wrote:
>Hi,
>Thanks for the answsers about including libraries in perl scripts (and
>getting slowed down as a result).
>I now know what the problem was with the library we were using -- it used
>the Date::manip module, which takes about 7 seconds just to load. We have
>to do the date calculations some other way, because 7 seconds is too long.

It might be worth looking at mod_perl if you are using Apache. This
basically will mean that the scripts will only have to compile once, and
will dramatically improve the performance of the site. On the other hand,
it is quite alot of work to set it up and it will use up more RAM.

--------
Jon Peterson  AMXstudios Ltd  London, UK  +44 171 613 5300

"I'm not real!",

	Signed, Integer

The CGI Tips & Tricks website (and archive of the list) is located
at http://www.jann.com/Perl/

cgi-list is hosted by Summit Communication Design (http://www.summitdesign.net).