List:       cgi-list
Subject:    RE: [CGI] Good Stuff
From:       "Jann Linder" <jann () jann ! com>
Date:       1998-07-25 15:33:49

see below for the answers!

Jann Linder
Web Developer/CH2M Hill - SFO
jann@jann.com
Home Page:
     http://www.jann.com/
CalendarPlus Web Site:
     http://www.calendarplus.com/
#include <std/disclaimer.h>

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-cgi-list@jann.com [mailto:owner-cgi-list@jann.com]On Behalf
Of Raistlin Majere
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 1998 8:19 AM
To: cgi-list@jann.com
Subject: [CGI] Good Stuff

I was curious, what would I send in a cgi script to a web browser to ensure
that each time the user comes to the script they don't get a cached copy of
the page??
---Jann Says---
use the following tag:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="Wed, 01 Jan 1997 00:00:00 EST">
EXACTLY as shown above...most browsers honor it.
---

Also, I am hoping someone can help me with this one also.  In I.E. (not
netscape) it seems that when I write a series of CGI scripts that create a
site, that if you click the back button it says "The page has timed out,
please hit the reload button".  I want to be able to hit the back button and
see the page that was there and not have it display that it has timed out.
How is this done?

---Jann Says---
YOU CANNOT.

This is a setting (MS says for security) that is supposed to stop things
like submitting credit card info twice.

This is TOTALLY controlled by the user in their security settings in IE 3.02
and above.  I believe it is defaulted in 4 and cannot be changed.

---

Thanks ahead of time for answers to these questions.

The CGI Tips & Tricks website (and archive of the list) is located
at http://www.jann.com/Perl/

cgi-list is hosted by Summit Communication Design
(http://www.summitdesign.net).