List:       cgi-list
Subject:    [CGI] File Download+Execution Question
From:       "John M. O'Neill" <joneill () cyberdrive ! net>
Date:       1998-02-21 2:48:33

I am fairly new to CGI and am in need of some experienced advice.  What
need to be able to do is to download an executable from the server (a
Unix box) and have it automatically execute on the client (a windoz
box).
I am not able to have a pre-loaded client side script or any other
software
(besides the browser), so it must be initially driven somehow from an
SSI.

I guess what I am envisioning is:
  1) the user clicks a button on their browser.
  2) an SSI fires off to initiate the download of both the client
     side script and (possibly) the executable file.
  3) control is automagically transferred to the client side script.
  4) the client side script will then run the file, cleanup as
     necessary, and throw up any informational messages to the user.

I initially thought that I could possibly have an SSI push a script onto

the client and execute a '<meta HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"...' on the server
that would point the "URL=" to the just downloaded client script.  This
appears to work just fine until I receive a "502 Proxy Error".  Is this
telling me that I need an http server on the client machine?

If anyone has addressed this scenario before, or just has some general
hints to help me on my way, it would be _much_ appreciated.  Also, I
have recently switched jobs and am still trying to get my access to my
ISP mail server established, so if any responses could also be CC'd to
me directly, it will make my life much easier.

TIA,

John M. O'Neill
joneill@cybergate.net

in the message body.
To contact a person at the CGI list, mailto:owner-cgi-list@jann.com

The CGI Tips & Tricks website (and archive of the list) is located
at http://www.jann.com/Perl/

cgi-list is hosted by Wizards of the Web (http://wizweb.com).