List:       cfrg
Subject:    Re: [CFRG] [EXT] Re:  Quantum computer?
From:       "Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL" <uri () ll ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2024-03-11 14:55:34

> > How else should I interpret your posting on the subject,
> > instead of simply ignoring it and moving on? Especially
> > since you made your opinion known quite a while ago?
>
> I find value in Peter's postings.

On other subjects - I concur. Which is why I'm paying attention at all.

> His infrequent reminders that CRQC are, in his highly informed opinion,
> less relevant than other issues, are worth it to me.

"highly informed opinion"? Didn't know that, among other things, he was an expert on \
Quantum Computing.

I don't think people need those reminders.

Majority already evaluated the known facts, and formed their own opinions. People \
with power to decide already decided. Governments stated their direction. Large \
industrial companies did so too.

Individual developers and smaller companies are free to do whatever they choose, they \
don't have to ridicule their opponents (and, being ignorant themselves, ascribing \
ignorance to the other party).

> It would be a great loss if his forced departure ended up turning this into a \
> quantum echo chamber.

I, for one, could happily continue without his reminders that he doesn't think we \
should take CRQC seriously. I'll take his word on SCADA anytime, though.

The topics recently discussed here (that I noticed) were AEAD, and new Key \
Exchange-related protocols. The latter are indeed CRQC-related.

However, nobody forces you to participate in the KEM stuff. If you or Peter have more \
important things to discuss - what stops you from bringing them up here? The best way \
to prevent "this" from turning into a "quantum echo chamber" is to offer a different \
topic that people would find worth discussing. Trying to "squelch" "quantum topics" \
in hope that it would "open floor" for other subjects is like in a race trying to \
shoot other runners, instead of trying to run faster yourself.

> Please stop trying to squelch him. Just put him in your killfile or something.

He (for the n-th time ;) expressed his opinion, which I disagreed with - so, I (for \
the first time ;) expressed my disagreement. Both of us chose how to frame our \
statements.

Please don't try to squelch me - it won't work any better than me trying to squelch \
him.

["smime.p7s" (application/pkcs7-signature)]