List:       cfrg
Subject:    Re: [CFRG] HPKE and Key Wrapping
From:       Dan Harkins <dharkins () lounge ! org>
Date:       2022-05-31 23:43:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 5/31/22 10:15 AM, Shay Gueron wrote:
> The thread was brought to my attention.
>
> I am not sure what other schemes were compared to AES-SIV, in a way
> that the latter had advantage over them.

   It was compared to AES-KW: RFC 3394 and RFC 5649. The advantage of
AES-SIV over AES-KW
is efficiency, provable security, accepting associated data, and
allowing for natural
inputs instead of cramming everything into fixed-sized blocks.

> However, I point out that that AES-GCM-SIV (RFC8452) handles inputs of
> different lengths, AAD's, and one can choose to use it with a fixed
> nonce (for wrapping keys).

   Yes it can. But AES-GCM-SIV MUST always be passed a nonce which is
why it's not really
thought of as a key wrapping scheme. Key wrapping schemes are
deterministic and the
security of  the scheme is in the assumption that the data being
wrapped-- the secret
key-- provides the probabilistic contribution so no nonce is needed, not
even a
misuse-resistant one.

   AES-GCM-SIV is more of a bulk data encryption scheme that provides
MRAE (compared to
AES-GCM) than it is a key wrapping scheme.

   I think adding AES-GCM-SIV to HPKE is a good idea too, it's just not
really addressing
the keywrap use case, IMHO, while AES-SIV is.

> I think Uri had commented about the key wrapping performance.

   Yes, AES-GCM-SIV can take advantage of the carryless multiply
instruction that is
used in many popular microprocessors. AES-SIV uses CMAC which is much
less efficient.
Both require two passes over the data (for MRAE purposes) though.

   Uri's other complaint about AES-SIV is that it takes a "doublewide"
key. He seems to
think that's a big drawback. The way I look at it, HKDF can generate
512-bits as easily
as it can generate 256-bits, I just pass a different value for L, the
crank gets turned
and I take the single bitstring as the key for my cipher. The fact that
it's doublewide
is not really an issue-- I ask for "keylength" bits and I pass the
result to the cipher
along with my plaintext. But different strokes for different folks, this
is an issue
that has been brought up with AES-SIV.

   regards,

   Dan.