List:       cfrg
Subject:    Re: [CFRG] Reference for weakness in MAC=hash(key|msg) construct
From:       Yann Droneaud <ydroneaud () opteya ! com>
Date:       2022-05-15 18:01:46

Hi,

Le 13/05/2022 à 16:24, Robert Moskowitz a écrit :

> I need to show that a MAC based on hash(key|msg) is bad and this has
> been known since the mid-90s.
>
> This is for the Drone Command and Control (C2) open protocol MAVlink's
> 6 byte authentication:
>
> https://mavlink.io/en/guide/message_signing.html

Cryptography in MAVlink is somewhat a weak point. Last year I've noted
the following:

Believe it or not but cryptography is about making things hidden ... so
putting a symmetric key in clear in source file available on github is
probably defeating the whole purpose of using cryptography:

     PairingManager::PairingManager(QGCApplication* app, QGCToolbox* toolbox)

     : QGCTool(app, toolbox)

     , _aes("J6+KuWh9K2!hG(F'", 0x368de30e8ec063ce)

https://github.com/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/blob/cc95825594fc99e7537198003cab4a0dd1172bcb/src/PairingManager/PairingManager.cc#L43

https://twitter.com/ydroneaud/status/1361421701179797504

--

Yann Droneaud