List:       cfrg
Subject:    Re: [Cfrg] Outline -> was Re: normative references
From:       Paul Lambert <paul () marvell ! com>
Date:       2014-01-16 21:55:08

⨳|The key exchange and PKIX we have now works with this restriction just
 ⨳|fine. [ ⨳]

PKIX does not work well ... and it will not be used for my applications.
When was the last time you used a PKI based key to encrypt something?

I'm building consumer equipment that needs a simple enrollment and trust model.  We \
will have public keys embedded in a wide range of devices (large and small).  The \
enrollment process may include the presentation of a public key in machine readable \
form (e.g. QR code). Smaller is better.  PKI and any naming hierarchy is an \
unnecessary burden.  Human validation of visual information is a fall-back for the \
device introduction process.

Initial setup is Static and/or ephemeral DH based, signatures later required.

[ ⨳] >The naive solution I mentioned above doesn't require any extra
 ⨳|rounds, just some more data. Yes, it is sort of a pain in highly
 ⨳|restricted environments, but I'm having trouble thinking of a highly
 ⨳|restricted environment with lots of public key ops taking place that
 ⨳|need those semantics.
[ ⨳]
It's not the size restriction or speed that is an issue. I'm looking at making the \
'trust chain' simpler.  It is not a critical mechanism ... but it would make the \
overall presentation of chains of related keys easier.

Signature authenticated DH is an extra couple of steps but is viable. Key 'trust \
statements' just require an extra level of abstraction.

Will be proceeding with a multi key model ... unless I can find a well vetted single \
key algorithm suite.  That's why I'm asking here....

Paul

 ⨳|It's never going to amount to a high percentage of the load anyway.
 ⨳|>
 ⨳|> Thanks,
 ⨳|>
 ⨳|> Paul
 ⨳|
 ⨳|Sincerely,
 ⨳|Watson
 ⨳|>
 ⨳|>
 ⨳|
 ⨳|
 ⨳|
 ⨳|--
 ⨳|"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little
 ⨳|Temporary Safety deserve neither  Liberty nor Safety."
 ⨳|-- Benjamin Franklin