List:       cfrg
Subject:    [Cfrg] scope [Was:  ECC Encryption questions]
From:       David McGrew <mcgrew () cisco ! com>
Date:       2010-06-25 20:18:24

Hi David,

I agree that "how does it work?" sorts of questions are out of scope
(though I hope we'll be forgiving of the occasional question of that
sort).

Questions like "can it do this?" could be in scope - we want to be a
bridge between theory and practice, and we want that to work in both
directions.   If there are real-world applications for which existing
mechanisms are not suitable, it will be good to know.

I think the general topic of a minimal set of crypto primitives (e.g.
can we make do with a hash and not a block cipher, or with a block
cipher but not a hash) is a worthwhile topic.  Ideally, we should
start with the basic requirements and work out from there.

David