List:       cfe-dev
Subject:    Re: [cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] What is an address-significant symbol?
From:       Peter Smith via cfe-dev <cfe-dev () lists ! llvm ! org>
Date:       2019-11-22 11:34:21

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 at 11:20, Gaier, Bjoern via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev@lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hello LLVM- and Clang-List,
>

> I'm not sure if this a subject for LLVM or Clang – but there is something I don't \
> understand. I wrote the following code in C++:
>

> searchPlanschi(&__stdio_common_vswprintf);
>

> ‚searchPlanschi‘ is a function I provide. Clang generates the following \
> assembly code for this:
>

> lea   rcx, [rip + __stdio_common_vswprintf]
>
> call  "?searchPlanschi@@YAXPEAX@Z"
>

> I was surprised to see the register rip there, as far as I know this is the \
> Instruction register, right? Why do I need the rip register to get the address of \
> the function? I searched the assembly file for ‘__stdio_common_vswprintf' to get \
> some hints about this. The only thing I found was:
>

> .addrsig
>
> .addrsig_sym __stdio_common_vswprintf
>

> So I googled ".addrsig" and found the following text:
>
> "This section is used to mark symbols as address-significant, i.e. the address of \
> the symbol is used in a comparison or leaks outside the translation unit. It has \
> the same meaning as the absence of the LLVM attributes unnamed_addr and \
> local_unnamed_addr. Any sections referred to by symbols that are not marked as \
> address-significant in any object file may be safely merged by a linker without \
> breaking the address uniqueness guarantee provided by the C and C++ language \
> standards. The contents of the section are a sequence of ULEB128-encoded integers \
> referring to the symbol table indexes of the address-significant symbols."
> But sadly… this is way over my head. What does that actually mean? Does that \
> explain the code construct with the rip register? Is that a form of optimization?

There is a linker optimization called identical code folding (ICF).
The details of the initial implementation in gold is described in
https://ai.google/research/pubs/pub36912 . ICF can cause problems when
the program depends on functions having a unique address, both gold
and LLD have an --icf=safe mode that limits the scope of the
optimization to avoid folding sections that are "address-significant".
The implementation in gold uses linker heuristics such as relocation
type to determine address significance. The implementation in LLD uses
information generated by the compiler, which is placed in .addrsig.

I can't answer the question about code-generation off the top of my
head, my understanding is that .addrsig is primarily used for
implementing --icf=safe in linkers, I don't think it has an affect on
code-generation.

Hope this is of some help

Peter