List:       cfe-dev
Subject:    Re: [cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Future of the LLVM OpenMP runtime
From:       Alp Toker <alp () nuanti ! com>
Date:       2014-02-28 9:52:18

On 27/02/2014 09:29, David Chisnall wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2014, at 08:25, Alp Toker <alp@nuanti.com> wrote:

> > > I'd add that fairly high up the TODO list should probably be a build system \
> > > that's a bit easier to modify.  We're very interested in getting the runtime \
> > > working on FreeBSD with a view to importing it into the base system at some \
> > > point in the future (we've removed the GNU OpenMP runtime and would quite like \
> > > a replacement).
> > Some good news: We have a FreeBSD port covering both the build system and the \
> > OpenMP runtime itself. I'll see if we can contribute this upstream in the next \
> > few days.
> > This work generalises a few abstractions to ease porting to other platforms as \
> > well.
> That's awesome!

The FreeBSD port of the OpenMP runtime has landed: r202478

> > > We have a number of people producing experimental manycore 64-bit MIPS systems \
> > > running FreeBSD, so we'd also be interested in doing MIPS bring-up, but the \
> > > build system is currently something of a show-stopper for us.
> > The port is working on FreeBSD 10 x86_64 (modulo CPU affinity support) so MIPS \
> > shouldn't be a large leap from there, hopefully this time with some test \
> > coverage.
> Excellent news!  We'll look at initially importing it and the Intel Clang fork into \
> the ports tree and see if we can start using it for OpenMP-requiring ports.
> What's needed for CPU affinity?  We expose his via pthread_attr_setaffinity_np() in \
> <pthread_np.h> - does the runtime need anything more from the interface, or was \
> this support just not yet a high priority for you?  I'd be happy to help with this \
> support.

I've checked over and there are a couple of minor tasks remaining to get
a full pass of the validation suite (currently 59/63) so let's
prioritize those above affinity support.

> Since Linux and FreeBSD use the same calling conventions and data layouts on MIPS \
> (and ARM), hopefully we can both benefit from improved architecture support in the \
> library.

Sounds good, I'll follow up on openmp-dev with details and a list of
open tasks on the FreeBSD port. Let's take it from there?

Alp.

--
http://www.nuanti.com
the browser experts