List:       cfe-dev
Subject:    Re: [cfe-dev] Proposal: A "Const tool" for clang
From:       Sean Silva <silvas () purdue ! edu>
Date:       2013-02-05 7:06:45

> Batch
> [...]
> Repeat this process as long as progress ensues.

Have you done a ballpark estimate of how much resident memory this
would need for, say LLVM's codebase? Are you planning to do this
entirely in-core? If not, then how are you planning to make this
scale?

> Interactive
>
> Pick as specific function parameter or method and make it const.
> This would involve checking all of the routines that it calls with that parameter, \
> and making changes to fix their interfaces (if necessary).

This seems pretty ambitious. AFAIK nobody has even written a robust
and useful tool based on Clang that coherently lets you pick a
function and see all the call sites in a codebase (otherwise I would
be using it!). I would recommend starting with just that aspect. My
impression is that the new Modules functionality that dgregor is
working on will go a long way to making this easier, so pragmatically
your time might be best spent helping to move that feature along.

-- Sean Silva