List:       ceph-users
Subject:    [ceph-users] Dropping focal for squid
From:       Reed Dier <reed.dier () focusvq ! com>
Date:       2024-02-28 17:58:07

Found this mention in the CLT Minutes posted this morning[1], of a discussion on \
ceph-dev[2] about dropping ubuntu focal builds for the squid release, and beginning \
builds of quincy for jammy to facilitate quincy->squid upgrades.

> there was a consensus to drop support for ubuntu focal and centos
> stream 8 with the squid release, and i'd love to remove those distros
> from the shaman build matrix for squid and main branches asap
>
> however, i see that quincy never supported ubuntu jammy, so our quincy
> upgrade tests still have to run against focal. that means we'd still
> have to build focal packages for squid
>
> would it be possible to start building jammy packages for quincy to
> allow those upgrade tests to run jammy instead?

Just wanting to voice my support for this, as this both seems to match the historical \
ceph:ubuntu cadence going back roughly a decade, and helps facilitate a narrow \
upgrade window for ubuntu users to get to jammy.

+----------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
+----------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
> jewel    | +   | +   | -   | -   | -   | -   |
> luminous | +   | +   | -   | -   | -   | -   |
> mimic    | -   | +   | +   | -   | -   | -   |
> nautilus | -   | +   | +   | -   | -   | -   |
> octopus  | -   | -   | +   | +   | -   | -   |
> pacific  | -   | -   | +   | +   | -   | -   |
> quincy   | -   | -   | -   | +   | M   | -   |
> reef     | -   | -   | -   | +   | +   | -   |
> squid    | -   | -   | -   | -   | E   | E   |
> T        | -   | -   | -   | -   | E   | E   |
But going back to both jewel/10 and Ubuntu 14.04/trusty, there has been a consistent \
4 ceph releases per ubuntu LTS release, with a dist drop/add every two releases. This \
gives ample window for users to upgrade ubuntu and ceph at a reasonable pace. However \
with quincy not being built for jammy (M=missing), this broke the trend and forced \
anyone looking to get to jammy to have to go all the way to reef, which they may not \
be ready to do just yet. Running the table out to the T release and ubuntu \
24.04/noble, following this trend, it would be expected (E=expected) that squid would \
be built for jammy (and eventually noble), and the same would be true for the T \
release.
Many words to say that as a user this would be beneficial to me, and likely others.

Reed

[1] https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@ceph.io/thread/SI3KZTU6GLGEHWICVDZLQEKWUSVKYQHG/ \
<https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@ceph.io/thread/SI3KZTU6GLGEHWICVDZLQEKWUSVKYQHG/>
 [2] https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/dev@ceph.io/thread/ONAWOAE7MPMT7CP6KH7Y4NGWIP5SZ7XR/ \