List:       ceph-users
Subject:    [ceph-users] Re: Temporary shutdown of subcluster and cephfs
From:       Frank Schilder <frans () dtu ! dk>
Date:       2022-10-25 13:21:28

Hi Patrick.

> To be clear in case there is any confusion: once you do `fs fail`, the
> MDS are removed from the cluster and they will respawn. They are not
> given any time to flush remaining I/O.

This is fine, there is not enough time to flush anything. As long as they leave the \
meta-data- and data pools in a consistent state, that is, after an "fs set <fs_name> \
joinable true" the MDSes start replaying the journal etc. and the FS comes up \
healthy, everything is fine. If user IO in flight gets lost in this process, this is \
not a problem. A problem would be a corruption of the file system itself.

In my experience, an mds fail is a clean (non-destructive) operation. I have never \
had an FS corruption due to an mds fail. As long as an "fs fail" is also \
non-destructive, it is the best way I can see to cut off all user IO as fast as \
possible and bring all hardware to rest. What I would like to avoid is a power loss \
on a busy cluster where I would have to rely on too many things to be implemented \
correctly. With >800 disks you start seeing unusual firmware fails and also disk \
fails after power up are not uncommon. I just want to take as much as possible out of \
the "does this really work in all corner cases" equation and rather rely on "I did \
this 100 times in the past without a problem" situations.

That users may have to repeat a task is not a problem. Damaging the file system \
itself, on the other hand, is.

Thanks and best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risų Campus