List:       ceph-users
Subject:    [ceph-users] Re: What exactly does the number of monitors depends on
From:       Tyler Stachecki <stachecki.tyler () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-01-27 13:19:52

They maintain and distribute the OSD map, i.e. the state of the OSDs.

Generally 3 or 5 recommended as there always needs to be a quorum of mons
available or the cluster can stall.

With 3 mons, you can bring down one for servicing, patching, etc. but if
another mon fails while you intentionally take one down, that leaves only
one mon up and it will not have quorum, and not be able to function.

The mons also have to do CPU intensive work with PGs when you are changing
charteristics of the pools, so for large clusters you will want enough of
them such that you have enough headroom for the PG operations while still
distributing maps. Look at the mon_cpu_threads tunable in the code.

So for large clusters, 5 mons is advised to provide a little more buffer...
you may feel that 3 is fine for smaller clusters, though.