List:       ceph-users
Subject:    [ceph-users] Do not use VMware Storage I/O Control with Ceph iSCSI GWs!
From:       Frédéric Nass <frederic.nass () univ-lorraine ! fr>
Date:       2022-01-26 20:05:02

Hi,

For anyone using VMware ESXi (6.7) with Ceph iSCSI GWs (Nautilus), I
thought you might benefit from our experience: I have finally identified
what was causing a permanent ~500 MB/s and ~4k iops load on our cluster,
specifically on one of our RBD image used as a VMware Datastore and it
was Storage I/O control. Not sure whether this is a bug that could be
taken care of on the ceph side (as a misinterpretation of a SCSI
instruction that the ESXi would replay madly) but disabling Storage I/O
Control definitely solved the problem. By disabling I mean choosing
"Disable Storage I/O Control **and** statistics collection" on each
Datastore.

Regards,

Frédéric.

--
Cordialement,

Frédéric Nass
Direction du Numérique
Sous-direction Infrastructures et Services

Tél : 03.72.74.11.35