List:       ceph-users
Subject:    [ceph-users] Write Order during Concurrent S3 PUT on RGW
From:       Scheurer_François <francois.scheurer () everyware ! ch>
Date:       2021-09-29 14:54:21

This is an S/MIME signed message

--===============3807671546259668534==
micalg="sha-256"; boundary="----21514C5B5465F9A4F9B99B7D8DE2DF0A"

This is an S/MIME signed message

Dear All,

RGW provides atomic PUT in order to guarantee write consistency.

cf: https://ceph.io/en/news/blog/2011/atomicity-of-restful-radosgw-operatio=
ns/

But my understanding is that the are no guarantee regarding the PUT order s=
equence.
So basically, if doing a storage class migration:
aws s3 cp s3://<bucket-name>/ s3://<bucket-name>/ --recursive --storage-cla=
ss <storage_class>
Then if another client is writing concurrently in this bucket, a PUT collis=
ion could happen.
Is it correct that in this case the slowest PUT would win?
In fact, if the other client starts its PUT after my PUT starts and before =
my PUT ends,
then my PUT would win, overwriting new data with old data...

Any ideas to prevent that?
Maybe with "radosgw-admin bucket rewrite" ?
Maybe by "locking" the object temporary with an ACL or something else?

This potential issue could also affect LifeCycle Policies that use StorageC=
lass Transition...

Thank you for your help.

Cheers
Francois