List:       ceph-users
Subject:    [ceph-users] Re: Bluestore does not defer writes
From:       Dennis Benndorf <dennis.benndorf () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2020-08-31 15:11:47

Here the blog I wrote about:

https://yourcmc.ru/wiki/index.php?title=Ceph_performance&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktopHDD
 for data + SSD for journal
Filestore writes everything to the journal and only starts to flush
it to the data device when the journal fills up to the configured
percent. This is very convenient because it makes journal act as a
 «temporary buffer » that absorbs random write bursts.

Bluestore can't do the same even when you put its WAL+DB on SSD.
It also has sort of a  «journal » which is called  «deferred write
queue »,
but it's very small (only 64 requests) and it lacks any kind of
background flush threads. So you actually can increase the maximum
number of deferred requests, but after the queue fills up the
performance will drop until OSD restarts.

Maybe I have been hitten by that. Is there any change planned or done
on this?
Cant imagine users regulary restart their osds to get performance
back....

Regards,
Dennis

-------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht --------Von: Wido den Hollander <
wido@42on.com>An: Dennis Benndorf <dennis.benndorf@googlemail.com>,
ceph-users@ceph.ioBetreff: Re: [ceph-users] Bluestore does not defer
writesDatum: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 16:06:37 +0200