List:       ceph-users
Subject:    Re: [ceph-users] How to add 100 new OSDs...
From:       Paul Mezzanini <pfmeec () rit ! edu>
Date:       2019-07-28 13:16:06

I'll throw my $.02 in from when I was growing our cluster.

My method ended up being to script up the LVM creation so the lvm names ref=
lect OSD/Journal serial numbers for easy location later,  "ceph-volume prep=
are" the whole node to get it ready for insertion followed by "ceph-volume =
activate".  I typically see more of an impact on performance with peering i=
nstead of with rebalancing.  =

If I'm doing a whole node, I make sure the node's weight is set to 0 and sl=
owly walk it up in chunks.  If it's anything less I just let it fly as-is.  =

My workloads didn't seem to mind the increased latency during a huge rebala=
nce but another admin has some latency sensitive VMs hosted and by moving i=
t up slowly I could easily wait for things to settle if he saw the numbers =
get too high.  It's a simple knob twist to make another admin happy when do=
ing storage changes so I do it.

--
Paul Mezzanini
Sr Systems Administrator / Engineer, Research Computing

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is
intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
destroy any copies of this information.