List:       ceph-users
Subject:    Re: [ceph-users] New best practices for osds???
From:       Anthony D'Atri <aad () dreamsnake ! net>
Date:       2019-07-27 0:37:41

> This is worse than I feared, but very much in the realm of concerns I
> had with using single-disk RAID0 setups.? Thank you very much for
> posting your experience!? My money would still be on using *high write
> endurance* NVMes for DB/WAL and whatever I could afford for block.?

yw.  Of course there are all manner of use-cases and constraints, so others have \
different experiences.  Perhaps with the freedom to not use a certain HBA vendor \
things would be somewhat better but in said past life the practice cost hundreds of \
thousands of dollars.

I personally have a low tolerance for fuss, and management / mapping of WAL/DB \
devices still seems like a lot of fuss especially when drives fail or have to be \
replaced for other reasons.

For RBD clusters/pools at least I really enjoy not having to mess with multiple \
devices; I'd rather run colo with SATA SSDs than spinners with NVMe WAL+DB.

- aad