List:       ceph-users
Subject:    Re: [ceph-users] clock skew
From:       mj <lists () merit ! unu ! edu>
Date:       2019-04-28 6:31:09

An update.

We noticed contradicting output from chrony. "chronyc sources" showed
that chrony was synced. However, we also noted this output:

> root@ceph2:/etc/chrony# chronyc activity
> 200 OK
> 0 sources online
> 4 sources offline
> 0 sources doing burst (return to online)
> 0 sources doing burst (return to offline)
> 0 sources with unknown address

so "chrony activity" shows OFFLINE sources.

After we changed sources to nl.pool.ntp.org, "chronyc activity" started
showing the sources as ONLINE, and now, after a day running, our skew as
reported by "ceph time-sync-status" is 0.000000 on all hosts.

Seems that replying on "chronyc sources" is not always enough to make
sure that everything is synced indeed.

Thanks for the help!

MJ