List:       ceph-users
Subject:    [ceph-users] Changing the failure domain
From:       drakonstein () gmail ! com (David Turner)
Date:       2017-08-31 14:56:57

How long are you seeing these blocked requests for?  Initially or
perpetually?  Changing the failure domain causes all PGs to peer at the
same time.  This would be the cause if it happens really quickly.  There is
no way to avoid all of them peering while making a change like this.  After
that, It could easily be caused because a fair majority of your data is
probably set to move around.  I would check what might be causing the
blocked requests during this time.  See if there is an OSD that might be
dying (large backfills have the tendancy to find a couple failing drives)
which could easily cause things to block.  Also checking if your disks or
journals are maxed out with iostat could shine some light on any mitigating
factor.