List:       ceph-users
Subject:    [ceph-users] Flapping OSDs, Large meta directories in OSDs
From:       pavera () gmail ! com (Tom Christensen)
Date:       2015-11-30 23:20:27

What counts as ancient?  Concurrent to our hammer upgrade we went from
3.16->3.19 on ubuntu 14.04.  We are looking to revert to the 3.16 kernel
we'd been running because we're also seeing an intermittent (its happened
twice in 2 weeks) massive load spike that completely hangs the osd node
(we're talking about load averages that hit 20k+ before the box becomes
completely unresponsive).  We saw a similar behavior on a 3.13 kernel,
which resolved by moving to the 3.16 kernel we had before.  I'll try to
catch one with debug_ms=1 and see if I can see it we're hitting a similar
hang.

To your comment about omap, we do have filestore xattr use omap = true in
our conf... which we believe was placed there by ceph-deploy (which we used
to deploy this cluster).  We are on xfs, but we do take tons of RBD
snapshots.  If either of these use cases will cause lots of osd map size
then, we may just be exceeding the limits of the number of rbd snapshots
ceph can handle (we take about 4-5000/day, 1 per RBD in the cluster)

An interesting note, we had an OSD flap earlier this morning, and when it
did, immediately after it came back I checked its meta directory size with
du -sh, this returned immediately, and showed a size of 107GB.  The fact
that it returned immediately indicated to me that something had just
recently read through that whole directory and it was all cached in the FS
cache.  Normally a du -sh on the meta directory takes a good 5 minutes to
return.  Anyway, since it dropped this morning its meta directory size
continues to shrink and is down to 93GB.  So it feels like something
happens that makes the OSD read all its historical maps which results in
the OSD hanging cause there are a ton of them, and then it wakes up and
realizes it can delete a bunch of them...