List:       ceph-devel
Subject:    Re: Sizes of attributes and attributenames....
From:       Willem Jan Withagen <wjw () digiware ! nl>
Date:       2016-05-31 13:52:49

On 31-5-2016 15:34, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2016, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

>>> I think we either need to do --short unconditionally for the make check
>>> vstart tests, or have an environment variable that does it conditionally.
>>> I'm inclined to do it unconditionally...  Loic, does that seem
>>> reasonable?  That way make check can work reliably on ext4.
>>
>> I've now "fixed" it, rather bluntly, in:
>> common/config_opts.h, like:
>>
>> #if defined(__FreeBSD__)
>> // Assuming ZFS
>> OPTION(filestore_max_inline_xattr_size_other, OPT_U32, 2048)
>> #else
>> OPTION(filestore_max_inline_xattr_size_other, OPT_U32, 512)
>> #endif
>>
>> While that works for my porting and testing, I would definitely not
>> consider that a permanent band-aid.
>
> Ah, I think this is the right direction.  Instead of redefining
> other, though, can you add a _zfs option (like the other types) and update
> the code to use that if the fs type is zfs?

Right, I''ll go and start putting this in. this was the shortest path
without changing much. Thusfar the tests actually complete with the zfs
conditionals I made.

But I do not have the feeling that there are UnitTests that actually
stress these boundaries?

So now osd-markdown is the only one not working for me. Next to not
fully understanding the test. :(

>> Now the future problem occurs if people are going to connect OSDs to the
>> cluster that are of different origine. Like we now have a few nodes running:
>> DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
>> DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
>> DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
>> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS"
>> running on btrfs (that is the way things started here, me being a ZFS fan)
>
> These options are a layer down from the configured limits.  The
> (presumably cluster-wide) config option will specify what name length
> limits are set, and individual osds will refuse to start if they can't
> support that given what they believe the backend fs cna do (based on the
> above options).

Oke, so as long as people keep moving "forward" and the limit grow
bigger in that process, nothing should happen. Unless a platforms want
to join the cluster that cannot meet the limits. And than that is a no go.

--WjW