List:       ceph-devel
Subject:    Re: changing default installed packages by ceph-deploy
From:       Travis Rhoden <trhoden () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-07-31 18:26:59

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 3:09 AM, David Disseldorp <ddiss@suse.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 15:41:29 -0700, Travis Rhoden wrote:
>
>> There are the following flags in ceph-deploy today that can control
>> what daemons get installed:
>>
>>  ceph-deploy install --help
>>   --mon                 install the mon component only
>>   --mds                 install the mds component only
>>   --rgw                 install the rgw component only
>>   --osd                 install the osd component only
>>   --cli, --common       install the common component only
>>   --all                 install all ceph components (e.g. mon,osd,mds,rgw).
>>                         This is the default
>>
>> So, my proposal is to change the default behavior from "ceph-deploy
>> install --all ..." to "ceph-deploy install --mon --osd ...".
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> Sounds good to me Travis.

I received some feedback that while this change would make sense all
around, it would represent a non-backwards-compatible change, and that
is true.  There are scripts out there that presume everything is
installed by default, and we don't want to break those...

What I *can* do, however, is build off of the work you did in
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-deploy/pull/324/commits, and install a
subset of packages when requested to do so.  This works even before
the ceph->ceph-mon/ceph-osd split arrives.  Thanks for that code. :)
I've added http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/12543 to cover that.

> For the ceph-deploy install --iscsi changes at
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph-deploy/pull/326 I had intentionally left
> targetcli out of the --all group so that it wouldn't be installed by
> default, but I'll add it if your proposed changes go in.
> Any thoughts on the install --iscsi changes?

Added feedback on that pull request. Sorry for the delay!